Thursday, April 5, 2007

Studio Time is Happy Time

I've been spending most of my time in here lately

it feels really good. At first I wasn't sure if I could be anywhere that wasn't in my home. Sure, I'd dreamed of a studio, a real live studio. But the reality was much stranger. I moved into a multi-studio space in one of the "middle" rooms. When I first walked in all I saw was a room with no windows and no natural light. A big, square, white room. Really? This is where I was gonna get creative?
It didn't take too long. Now it feels like a home away from home. I love going there. I love putting on my headphones and getting to work. I love that I don't have the thought of cleaning the bathroom, or doing the dishes, or making any calls to distract me. And, you know what? The no window is a good thing (I used to spend A LOT of time looking out the window and watching the world go by in my home studio); and the natural light thing, well, it turns out, with these long light days, the sun comes dipping into my studio from the far windows for a good (gorgeous, really) hour or more each day. I'm putting a big mirror up on that wall to catch the light and beam it into the rest of the space. I have my daily little rituals when I enter: hang bag, keys and coat on hook immediately to your right as you come in, turn on the little green lights, strike a match and light the candle, ipod in, little dance, and down to work.

I really, really love the studio and I hope, come May Open Studios in the Mission, a lot more people will come and enjoy it with me.

No comments: