Thursday, January 31, 2008

Shared superstitions


Last night I stopped into our little local grocery store, where all the counter-persons are young and hip and the food is overpriced but organic. I love this little place, as much as I hate it. Here's an example of love:

I bought a few things,
he rang them up,
the total came to $6.66
we looked at each other and paused.
No money was exchanged, nor words.
He looked at me. I looked at him.
He made a sound like, 'uhhhhh' and turned back to the register.
A few buttons were punched and suddenly,
there was a new total up on the screen.
That bright red, scrawly, sorta creepy, 666 was gone.
The register read $5.92
I breathed a sigh of relief, and I think he did too.
Handing over my ten dollar bill, we smiled at each other
and I skipped home (without stepping on a crack, either).

2 comments:

Christina said...

love that story! and that picture.

ashley said...

haha! good story.