Monday, March 7, 2011

Mysterious Letters, Indeed

I've been thinking about this project ever since it first came across my internet world-view.  I love it.  I want to be a part of it.  I wish I'd thought of it.






And I wonder,





will they ever get to me?


I love the idea of a random letter, sent or received.  Both, really fantastic.
I'm a big fan of a plain piece of paper, or whatever is handy, to write on.
A simple thought, a scribbled note.

I have a box, a huge-mongous box, in my parent's attic that is filled with letters.
I love looking through years and years of letters I've saved.
Not that long ago, in my adult life, I exchanged letters on a regular basis with a few people in my life.  Even these pieces seem quaint now:  The blue cloud paper, the postcard with Einstein on it, any number of folded over airmail letters.

It makes me think of all the letters I used to write.

Now I collect other people's letters.

And when I'm reading their tales of taking the train from one town to another or the last time they saw someone in town, and their handwriting takes me to the next page, I'm just as rapt with wonder as I used to be when the letter was mine.



2 comments:

Christina said...

This is such a great idea. And reading your post makes me sad I didn't keep all the letters I received from when I was younger. I used to be such a letter writer! How could I have let all those letters go and not saved them!?

Rose Brier Studio said...

I too have saved the letters I got. One friend & I wrote from the time we were 8 yrs old and she moved away. A few years ago I collected all those letters she wrote me and mailed them to her. I felt like such a wonderful person giving her a piece of her childhood!

I try emailing her, but it never feels right, so I find some nice paper and get my handwriting chops up to snuff and write. She emails back, but that's ok. That reminds me, I owe her a letter . . . off to find some nice paper.
~Marilee