Saturday, May 3, 2008

Jewelry Makin', jewelry jewelry makin'

I've been working on some jewelry lately. Feels a little weird, 'cuz I was never one for making jewelry. And I worked in my sister's jewelry business for almost ten years. But I ran the business side of things, trying to keep as far away from a jewelry making tool as possible. I never understood the enjoyment of cutting chain and attaching a headpin to a bead or trying to make a round loop out of said straight pin. And yet, here I find myself, lo these many years later, tootling along with a needle nose pliers and a chain cutter in my hand. I've had a blast doing it. It's actually really relaxing, trying to figure out something new. I'm happy with the results even...wondering what to do with all these pieces now. Sure, I guess I could just add them to my own ever-expanding collection of 'jewels'--but, after showing (and then happily giving away) to friends the first four pair of earrings I made, I'm kind of excited to put the pieces out to others. I don't know, maybe it's bound for my Etsy shop, but I like to think that a real shop, where people can pick up the pieces and try them on might be more conducive to this little (and probably temporary) flourish.

2 comments:

Christina said...

LOVE those necklaces!

comfies said...

i think you have a bit of a magical touch with the jewelry - as with most things! not surprising to me at all!