Thursday, March 11, 2010

Happiness in Chaos

I'm happiest in full-work-mode.  We had a winter break last week and I took total advantage of it:  Heading to the studio every day with no interruptions.  I was in heaven.
 
these two alphabet pieces, recent commission for a fellow blogger 

  I find beauty in the chaos of it all.  It's when it's all out, the old tape, the string, the piles of books and photos everywhere that I start in on the details of a piece.


I've know I've mentioned it before: book binding tape I bought ages ago, had no idea what to do with it, now I use it on everything.  I'm going to run out and will be very sad until i find a new, juicy, textural, vintage adhesive.

 
 This is a little home-made tube holding linen thread, given to me by a fellow lover of details.  I thought it was so fantastic that she'd rolled it onto a little piece of wood.  She told me to 'take it' and it felt like stealing.  But, I took it, of course.  I know it's something I could get again, but I use it sparingly, like one might use glitter in a valentine card.


A fun old font bought at w.e.s.  So old, the rub-on letters barely rub-off the sheet.  It's worth the work.



A new piece waiting to be finished.  I love this little couple and have quite a few more pics of the woman.  If one really searches the bits of paper, they find the words there will never be another you and me









I'm looking forward to a whole lot more beautiful chaos in my very near future...

7 comments:

Ivanhoe Books - Art And Design said...

Gorgeous. I love pictures of creative chaos.

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

Beauty coming from chaos - what beautiful work! I especially like the piece with the couple, it felt like life swirling around them.

What a great week!

lotta said...

Looks like a happy creative place. I am so glad you got some uninterrupted making time. Love the rub-on letters, brings back great memories from my early graphic design days. Thanks for letting us peek in.

christina said...

ahh i LOVE the new pieces!!

christina said...

ahh! i LOVE the new pieces!!!

Ellen Zachos said...

Oh Moll, those are so great. I wish I could come out and spend hours poking around your studio.

Molly de Vries said...

I love your new works Molly. Im working out my choas into order. Finding the balance in a choatic brain and living in a small space. Still honor and have to go there often.