Thursday, August 21, 2008

Well I wish that you could see me
when I'm flying in my dreams
The way I laugh there way up high
The way I look when I fly
The way I live
The way I fly
--patty griffin

Monday was a This-is-the-first-day-of-the-rest-of-your-life kinda day.
I started a new job.
Let me introduce myself : I'm your new First Grade Associate Teacher.

Now, I know a lot of jobs can be loved in the first "fun" week and then quickly turn into a "job" where there is no f-u-n. To that I would say: let me have my moment. I just got back from an overnight retreat with all the faculty and I feel like a giddy, little kid (but on the big, grown-up side now).

I feel like I've finally landed. I had just about started to ask myself, "why didn't you do this before?", and then quickly felt the answer come right back: This is just the right moment, the exact right moment, for this to be.

A school that encourages students to live in greatness, to be themselves, and to treat every human with respect; All things that I strive for and am happy to be passing the word about. I do wish I could be a bit more articulate about what a great feeling it is combine a love of so many things in one job. The feeling is palpable.

12 comments:

comfies said...

oh molly! i'm so happy for you! you are anybody's DREAM TEACHER. i can't wait to hear all about it in person...xoxox

Elizabeth said...

Oh that is so exciting! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

I know you will be a great teacher....the one that will inspire students to do great things and the one they will always remember....Here's to you, Miss Molly!

Plantlady

montague said...

congratulations!!! i am so glad you are enjoying the job!!

Harris said...

hey molly,

great that yer getting the chance to do what ya love...and making money for it.

rock on,

aitch

Christina said...

Yay for Molly!! I'm so excited for you and I can't wait to hear all of your stories. xo tt

thetiniestspark said...

aw, yay molly!! i'm giddy with anticipation at finding my ideal job too, one that i can wake up everyday and say 'YES, I AM DOING THIS AND I LOVE IT.' so happy you've found that already. yay for you.

Tim Foil said...

Teachers live forever.

Ms. Silver: Music, 3rd Grade - Played guitar behind her head and cast me as Prof. Harold Hill in The Music Man.

Mrs. Stewart: Social Studies, 5th Grade - Was on the mall during Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech.

Mr. McGuinness: Music, 6th Grade - Defied principal's orders NOT to perform the theme song from M.A.S.H. at Spring concert due to suicide reference. Served 1 week suspension.

Mr. Narkiowitz: Spanish, 7th Grade - Played "Born To Run" in language lab headphones during mid-term exams. Also loved Roxy Music.

Ms. Cronin: English, 8th Grade - Taught Crane's "Red Badge of Courage" with her mouth wired shut as a result of a car accident.

Mr. Reade: English, 9th Grade - Encouraged self-study program and my term paper on the Scopes Monkey Trial.

Such were the influences of teachers in my life that I even married one - Ms. Martin: Kindergarten!

t said...

man this sounds so good. and it is true - i remember my favorite teachers better than i remember almost anyone else in my life.

Molly de Vries said...

The boys are going to have thier first crush!! Im so happy for you Molly. That's the kind of feeling you want, heh!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Molly - I hope your "moment" lasts a very long time!

Bonbon Oiseau said...

yesss!!! i am so happy for you! Youa re perfect for this..i wish you were my first grade associate teacher...maybe you can open a school to teach first grade over again to old people too?