Friday, August 8, 2008

I was there too!


Every Marriage Is a Courtroom. Drawings by the fantastic Chris Ware for the fabulous This American Life.
(first saw here.thank you!!)


As a really happily married person, with both parents and in-laws who have great roll-model marriages, I didn't just love this video...I completely related. So often, RK and I find ourselves saying, '"um, didn't I tell you that?" while the other one looks, wide-eyed, blankly back at the questioner. Is that possible? you think to yourself ... or, a number of times, we'll be looking at photographs and I'll jump in with, "oh yeah, I took that one..." (waiting for the love-o'-my-life to compliment me on my exposure and cropping abilities) and he'll say, kindly, "um, no, I did." Oh.

And the whole re-telling of a "shared" experience, well, I've listened to my parents tell me about the same experience in totally different ways enough times that apparently, it's rubbed off on my own story telling. Or, so I hear...

4 comments:

comfies said...

oh that's so good. so good.

montague said...

this is just absolutely fantastic! thank you for sharing!

Jody Rice said...

one of my favorite This American Life stories ever! it was originally on the radio in an episode called "Reruns", I believe...but the animation makes it even better. thanks!

if you haven't heard all of "Reruns" you should download it, it's awesome. The brilliant John Hodgeman tells a story with his wife as well, and it's hilarious.

Christina said...

love that story and loved seeing the Chris Ware animation with it! thanks for that!