Sunday, August 10, 2008

Thrifty Me

Reading a blog I like to check into, I was inspired by her recent post about thrifting, $8 plus Tax. And got me thinking about my most recent little thrift find. I, too, spent about $8 total for ten pieces of vintage glassware. When I go to a thrift store, there's three main things I look for: vintage glassware, vintage dishes, and old photos. Luckily, we live just mere blocks from two really great thrift stores. One is on the way to my studio and the other one is directly below my studio: Community Thrift and Thrift Town, respectively. They're both good digs in their own way. I actually never find good glassware or dishes at Thrift Town, but I find good books, old games, and unusual smalls in their cases. On the other hand, Community Thrift can't be beat for cheap, amazing finds. And, the first Monday of every month, everything is 50% off. Hello! Of course, it's a madhouse on these Mondays, but I stick to what I know and what I like and don't look sideways at seemingly good deals on rocking chairs or victrolas. I also tend to revel in something my sister once told me: Other people aren't really looking for the same things we are, which is a good thing.

The most recent glassware find. Four old AB wine/juice/anything glasses. These were $.25 each.

We christened these gorgeous etched champagne glasses last night.

There were eight of these, but I only took six because the other two had a different weight to the glass and didn't seem to match. Even though they were the same design. These were $1.00 each.


And then I got all excited and started pulling out all kinds of thrift shop finds from years past...
One of my very favorites. I had six of them and have only two left. They were $.25 each.

These juicy little things are this really beautiful, delicate pink that were hard to capture. These, too, have suffered loss...I have two left.

A Wisconsin find. I think there were three. Now there are two, but only one is still 'drinkable'.

For awhile there I was collecting anything with you, me, or people's names etched onto them. I'm still happy to collect them, but the good ones are rare.

A true France find.


With everything you buy, at some point, you have to let go of it's importance and when it falls from the cupboard and shatters, or it becomes a party casualty, you can't get upset. I used to guard things like this with all manner of caution, but now I just think, there's always more good stuff out there.

6 comments:

montague said...

oh yay! so fun - i love to see what other people hunt out! those glasses are just darling, and i particularly love the two 'moi' mugs! thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I'm in a panic! They know our special place!!

Plantlady

lotta said...

I am inspired, I have several thrift-found etched champaign glasses, but now I will expand my search. Love the obama paper dolls as well. Way to go.

Bonbon Oiseau said...

sweet finds sister! have you ever been to the goodwill up in napa---oh yeah...you might LOVE it.

Bonbon Oiseau said...

also, i so want the moi et toi cups--seems like something to, uh...get reproduced?

Elizabeth said...

Ooh what great finds! I also love the moi and toi cups. So cute!