Wednesday, November 11, 2009

well, that depends


I was playing battleship with one of the kids before school the other day when A., who has a slight lisp of an R to a W, came up to me and asked,

Miss Molly, was yesterday the future?

Woah. Granted, I was slightly distracted by trying to win battleship, but I was pretty sure I heard her right. These kids, unknowingly, ask some seriously deep questions and I thought this one was a doozy. Was yesterday the future? Sometimes I completely believe my dreams are real life. I gave a rote answer, but wondered what she meant exactly. How she saw it.

Me: Um, no. Yesterday was the past, today is the present and tomorrow is the future.

A: no, um, what?! she looked at me like i was crazy, then asked me again, no, Miss Molly, was yesterday the field trip?


Oh. Right. The Field Trip. When you're six, time holds no real meaning. If you can't tell time by looking at a clock, why do you need to even remember what day it is? I guess I went a little deep there. But these kids do keep me on my toes!

4 comments:

Innerspace Yoga said...

when my son was that age he couldn't pronounce "yesterday." he said, "nexterday." Nexterday linguistically evolved to mean any point in time not right now. your little town people are hilarious. wait till some kid asks you how you know we aren't all just characters in someone else's book!

Ellie said...

I love that of course yesterday was the future... but now, by being yesterday has ceased to be and has instead become the past. There's something very deep and a little poignant in there...

Bonbon Oiseau said...

just another reason why i love you mol.
and i suppose in a larger sense, yesterday was the future if you are looking at it from the perspective of the day before yesterday. just saying.
also, when you left comments on my blog the other day, i was thinking about you and about visiting over here. So you stopped time, in a sense, and it made my week. :)

Nicki's Notebook said...

i love how kids see the world - i think sometimes we should take a leaf out of their books! lovely post.

p.s I gave you an award on my blog today! xx http://thecherryblogcouk.blogspot.com/2009/11/super-cute-award.html