Sunday, October 26, 2008

one spooky sunday...


I was slated to teach a "Spooky Art Class" today at our cool little community spot, 18 Reasons. Such a neat little spot that is growing into a super community gathering space. When they asked me to teach a little art/craft class, I jumped at the opportunity. I had planned on ten kids, ages 6 to 10. I had a great time picking out the crafts and getting the supplies (spent some serious time at SCRAP, one of my favorite joints in town!). Today, woke up, had some coffee and proceeded to cut out ten pieces of cardboard into the shapes of gravestones. I was ready!

J. and I had a great time setting up the space...
Paper on the walls for the haunted houses and trick or treaters--made of construction paper, crayons and glue & I found this great, thick black adhesive vinyl to represent the roads--all materials laid out: tissues and cotton balls for little ghosts, paint for the gravestones, bobby pins for hairpin ghosts.

And then, we waited. And waited. Aaaaannnnd waited.

Sooooo, here's the funny: one little girl showed up. She was 2, she was adorable, and she was the daughter of J's good friends. She made our day. And when I say "our", I mean some of my most wonderful friends and my supportive husband. Word had spread (by me, of course) that no kids had showed and I could use their help (not to mention their company!)

They all showed up and made haunted houses, tissue ghosts, trick or treater characters, gravestones and hairpin ghosts.
We got the space looking fantabulous for next Friday's Halloween opening.
Of course, we had to fudge things here and there. Six barely motivated adults can't possibly make what ten kids might have got through.

One of the roads which should have been filled with haunted houses, I made a sign that said, "Lots for Sale". We thought about having it say "foreclosures", but wanted to keep the spirit somewhat light...
A row of haunted houses, with trick or treaters strolling along...
One trick or treater dressed as a UPS man...

Another went as a Hawaiian tourist (an angry tourist?)
We were trying to figure out what to do along this stretch of blank "road". I thought it should say, "where were you?!" but Sarah came up with a much better idea: I ain't 'fraid o' no ghosts.

The gravestones were classics...(that middle one says "my 401k")

and the wall of ghosts, that we all agreed, looked like a life-size game of pac man...

All in all, an excellent Sunday. Thanks to all who showed! We're doing it again for Thanksgiving, so wash your hands and get ready to make turkey feathers!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a hoot!

Mom

Christina said...

so awesome. love those tombstones!

comfies said...

that is super cute mol. xo.

Bonbon Oiseau said...

awesome graveyard...wow.
was just thinking of you today molly and planned to come for a visit tonight...thanks for your comments today--yours always cheer me up...ok am going to catch up on more molly...

Jody Rice said...

aww, man! that looks super fun. why do I have to live in stupid LA?