Friday, August 1, 2008

Pish-Tush

Above all else, it is about leaving a mark that I existed: I was here. I was hungry. I was defeated. I was happy. I was sad. I was in love. I was afraid. I was hopeful. I had an idea and I had a good purpose and that's why I made works of art.
- Felix
Gonzalez-Torres


Gads it felt good to get back in the studio after so long away...I think I was dying of thirst and didn't even know it. I got in there on Wednesday (after defering jury duty to another date) and just ate it up. I have three projects on my plate: a commission piece for someone I've never met; voter-DNC-themed cards for a cool shop in Denver, and an 80th birthday gift for my Uncle. I dropped in on all three today and, dang, did it feel good!

My Aunt sent me a scrapbook awhile back and told me I could do anything I wanted with it, but asked if I would use these little Japanese cards to make my Uncle (her sweetheart) a birthday gift of some sort.

It went through a few stages, as most of my things do, until I made a final decision. It's not my usual topic, so it was pretty random to work with, but I think it'll be just right for my Uncle.

1 comment:

Christina said...

lovely piece. and thanks for posting that quote up top, love it.