Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The New 826 Valencia Window Display is here!


My mind had a been a bit filled with the latest project: The very fabulous 826 Valencia kindly asked me to do an installation in their window. I'd done a couple of them before, so I knew I'd enjoy it, but this one was a specific request. It was to be a window honoring these four high school students who'd just won scholarships to go to college. The money for the scholarships comes from another one of my favorite San Francisco treats, City Arts and Lectures. (These are two institutions I love, so I was excited to present) It's a pretty big deal, this is the first time they've ever had a window done to present the winners, and then they have a dinner party to celebrate.

Turns out, I didn't have a lot of time and my project ideas kept changing, as well as the reality of the possible solutions...and, as the days whittled away, the stress of wanting to make something perfect kept getting in the way of the enjoyment. I brought in my good friend, Ian, who has done window installations for a living, to help me see it through.

Long story short, we did the installation today.
I feel pretty darn good about it.

5 comments:

Harris said...

hey molly,

congrats!

thats one thing i wanted to do but didn't have tiome for in SF - hit Valencia

rock on,

aitch

Modern Craft said...

molly-- this looks fantastic! i love the word board backdrops and the words scattered on the ground. very nice and celebratory-- lucky kids!

Anonymous said...

Great window, Mol!

Plantlady

Jody Rice said...

I'm seriously impressed...I am obsessed with McSweeneys, 826 Everywheres, and all things even slightly related to Dave Eggers. Now I can put you on that list!

and, the window is just lovely.

Bonbon Oiseau said...

nice work molly and co! it really does honor the winners in a very beautiful way.

(as an aside..I used to work at 842 valencia..sigh)