Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A time to remember


I remember three distinct things from the first grade:

1. Miss Martin's long, painted finger nails.
2. The time that the kid who sat next to me begged Miss Martin to go to the bathroom, and she kept telling him to wait until the lesson was over, then the bell rang and at that moment, he puked all over our shared desk.
3. Miss Martin playing the zither. She played "There was a b-i-e-i-e, upon a wall-i-all-i-all..."
I loved when she did this.

I'm wondering what the kids in my first grade class will remember about me?
Maybe it'll be the high-fives I give them after they really try to read something to me. Maybe the way I call them 'sir' or 'lady', as in 'what can i do for you, sir?' My big sunglasses at recess? The fact that I squeeze them so much? The way I change all the voices of characters when I read them a story?

Whatever it is, I hope it's good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...I'm sure it will be, Mol. You're a great teacher!

Love, Mom

Bonbon Oiseau said...

excuse me... but my first grade teacher was named mrs. martin too and one and two are exactly the same (except it was pee not puke).
my mrs martin was big and huggable and she didn't get me in trouble when claudia levin tattled on me when i wrote "sh*t" on the back blackboard.
in fact she told claudia to mind her own business and sit down while she erased my word. i think she did gave me a strange look though.
i'm sure your little ones will have GREAT memories of you. how could they not?