Thursday, March 17, 2011

kiss me, i'm irish

the chini project:  absolutely click here to see all of it!

St Patty's Day was always a huge celebration in our household growing up.  Dad would wear a huge green wig and mom would color our milk, pancakes and banana bread green.  The infamous shamrock shaped cut-out cookies with perfect butter-cream green frosting would greet me well into my college years.  There was ALWAYS a party:   I remember the green beer, the plaid suits all the dad's wore, the Malones, the Kennedys, everyone singing irish tunes at the top of their tipsy lungs, the green outfits head-to-toe that none of us would be caught dead without!

Today it's all different, it almost passed without notice, an email here and a phone call there, but the memory still lives on.


And the best part of the day, the jokes from my irish mother, Kick:

Paddy was driving down the street in a sweat because he had an important meeting and couldn't find a parking place.  Looking up to heaven he said, 'Lord take pity on me.
If you find me a parking place I will go to Mass every Sunday for the
rest of me life and give up me Irish Whiskey!'

                          Miraculously, a parking place appeared. 


Paddy looked up again and said,
'Never mind, I found one.'



Father Murphy walks into a pub in Donegal, and asks the first man he meets, 'Do you want to go to heaven?'
The man said, 'I do, Father.'
The priest said, 'Then stand over there against the wall.'

Then the priest asked the second man, 'Do you want to go to heaven?'


  'Certainly, Father,' the man replied. 


'Then stand over there against the wall,' said the priest.


Then Father Murphy walked up to O'Toole and asked, 'Do you want to go to heaven?'

O'Toole said, 'No, I don't Father.' 
The priest said, 'I don't believe this, you mean to tell me that when you die you don't want to go to heaven?'
 
O'Toole said, 'Oh, when I die , yes.  I thought you were getting a group together to go right now.'

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the dog! At first I thought it was Stella...M.

Pinecone Stew said...

BEAUTIFUL blog!!!! +Following

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

My only Irish joke:

What do you call an Irish Woman who sits outside all summer?


Patty O'Furniture!

I so want in on your family's celebrations! I love the green food and plaid suits the best.

May the wind be at your back and the road rise up to meet you, Lassie!

kaarimarie said...

top of the morning to you...hope you tied a green one on last night!

Anonymous said...

hey molly it's me slovak. so funny i'm going to forward these onto my dad, he likes jokes and his mom was irish so he'll appreciate.
about the traveling fantasy, i'd be happy for you guys but i'd miss you.
love the blog!!!