Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Dad's Day


Father's day was this past Sunday & because I was out of town, I didn't get the chance to honor my own pop. So, a day or so late, but the sentiment holds true all year long...

My dad's a true believer in pulling-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps and making your dreams come true. His own dad wanted him to follow in his footsteps and be an insurance salesman. He tried it, he really did, but he knew that wasn't where his heart truly was. So, he worked and worked and worked some more and became his own kind of salesman. My pop loves modern furniture and beautiful flatware and gorgeous crystal pieces and spectacular craftsmanship. Until this past year, he was a sales rep for some of the most beautiful high-end lines created. He owned his own company for most of his life: He was his own boss and made his own successes. He raised five kids in a gorgeous town by the ocean and introduced us to sushi and anchovies and skiing, all before we were five years old. He taught us you catch most bees with honey, and introducing yourself when you walk in a room opens up a world of possibilities. He's always the first to try something new and now, in his 70's, has started two groups with his friends: E.A.T.S. (i can't remember what it stands for, but it's all about eating unusual food that each one of them has made) and a wine group (all different price categories, but one type of wine, to see if a $5 bottle can't be as yummy as a $100 bottle). He's a big one for totally relying on family and standing by you when you're the underdog. He doesn't always agree with all your choices and he's reeeeeeal comfortable telling you that. But, I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have in this life without the support of my dad over the years. I wouldn't have the anal-organizing gene, which saves me many a time. And I wouldn't believe you can do anything you put your mind to if it weren't for my dad.

Happy Fathers Day and beyond, Pop. Love you!

No comments: