Friday, August 7, 2009

what its all for...

Just when I think I'm having a hard time of it all, somehow fates collide and I find myself discovering that I should really shut the heck up because my life is just fine. Better than fine. It's downright fantastical.

When I first heard of Stephanie A.C. Nielson, it was after she had the accident. The "accident" sounds quite tame to describe what this family has been through. Not even a year ago now, Stephanie, her husband, Christian, and their friend, Doug Kineard, took off on a flight that didn't end with a landing, but a crash. It left Stephanie and Christian in coma's for weeks and it didn't bring Doug back to this life.

For about 3 years before this tragedy, Stephanie had been a devoted blogger with beautiful insight and adorable stories of her 4 little children, her big family, and her gorgeous love for her husband. I know this now because I've gone back to the beginning of her blogging and read from there. These days, I'm just as impressed with the fact that she even keeps up the writing, let alone that it covers her deepest thoughts about her current state of mind, as well as her 4 little kids, her ever-growing family, and her deepening, intense love for her recovering husband.
She lives with chronic pain and burns over 80% of her body, some days her children don't recognize her and cry for their mommy, yet she continues to post about how great life is and how wonderful each opportunity can be.

It's impressive. It's moving. And it's another reason I should get down on my knees and thank the universe for colluding with me and everything I have: good, bad and ugly, in my miraculous life.


all photos from the nie nie dialogues

8 comments:

Cindy said...

That is a beautiful and inspiring story. Your right we all have so much to be eternally grateful for. Thankyou Molly for reminded me of this today. She sounds like a wonderful and strong lady. Take care.

spudballoo said...

I've not read her blog, but I will.What amazing grace. We all think we have an axe to grind, but stories of true endurance bring us up sharp. x

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

oh, Molly, thank you for this. tonight was full of family squabbles and utter bullshit. Now I am going to give them all a hug.

I need some time before I can read the whole thing, but think I might take it one post at a time and read one each day. Then drop to my knees in gratititude.

Thank you again!

Maggie May said...

Nie deserves all the attention to her writings (life) that she gets, and more. She's amazing.

Cathy Mogull said...

read some of her blog last night and it has been haunting me all day. what if...
would i have the grace, the tolerance, the love, the patience?
i hope so.
that one really turned my head around.

la pianista said...

Beautiful story; amazing woman. We all take these short days for granted in so many ways. Today I will be more grateful. Thanks for sharing.

montague said...

i forgot about her blog... her story is so so moving. thanks for reminding me about her, and her amazing family.

Elizabeth said...

Her outlook is really so inspiring, it is amazing to read her story.