Saturday, August 15, 2009

To You

click on images to enlarge

I've never had a book dedicated to me. I think it would just be the living end! Imagine, a tome of something someone worked very, very hard on...and then, just as they're about to send it off to the world, they think of you and think, 'yes, i will dedicate it to....'

I've often made art work that, somewhere, hidden in it's text or somewhere in the scribbling on the back of a piece, is a dedication to RK. He never sees them, of course. They're pieces that have sold to people all over-- I don't actually know who has a lot of my early work. So, that's a sort of dedication.

And homemade tapes, back in the day, those were a sort of dedication to one another. The first mixed cd RK ever made me, "Orange Wheel", I like to think was one awesome dedication to moi and moi only.


If I ever write a book, I'll really have to think long and hard about a clever dedication. I can just see it now, the book will probably never get published because of it!

'oh, that?... that's just my unpublished tome. no, no, i finished it... but i couldn't find the words for a really fabulous, meaningful dedication. yeah, i know, i know....'

6 comments:

Maggie May said...

I have often thought of how I'm going to dedicate my novel. It's SO much fun to think of, and I take it ridiculously seriously!

Prashansa said...

Congrates! We all are children at heart and love to read fairy tales at any time of the life!! Dedicating book to someone is a simple yet a hard job....

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

dedicating a book feels like one of the most intimate things you can do. What beautiful examples!

I love the Naturalist's dedication to his parents, which feels so thoughtful and loving, then you look at the table of contents and eight sections on the Cuckoo Bird!

Molly said...

Gorgeous dedications. If I spent as much time thinking about a novel as I have composing dedications I might be published by now! It's a bit like that Oscar acceptance speech we all have running round in our heads ...
Oh that they could be as pithy and elegant as your examples!

Karafina said...

ahhhh.. so true... dedications are the best..

Elizabeth said...

I love this post so much! I always find it fascinating to see the dedication of a book. C.S. Lewis' was great.