Tuesday, August 11, 2009

say. no. more.

Some would say I'm violently against facebook. RK thinks if I just got on it, I'd love it. I might. But it would be unhealthy for me. So, I'm not even tempted.

I've got plenty to keep up with as it is: email, 6 accounts; blogging, daily; reading other people's blogs and commenting, as often as I can; texting, a constant; instant messaging, once in a great while which then turns into hours; phone calls to friends far and near, as often as possible; writing letters, weekly; promoting the concept to others of writing letters due to the fact that I make greeting cards, a daily!

It's a lot! Well, it's a lot for me. I can barely keep up with it. And the good friends in my life that have been there for years, I can barely keep up with them, too. And the new friends, which I always love to make...there's a whole 'nother category of keeping up.

So, no. For me, facebook is just another way to bring more chaos into my already chaotic life. More people, where there's barely any room for me, at this point. And more people to call "friends" that, as my friends who are ON facebook tell me, they don't actually consider "friends" but they "friend" each other anyway...and then don't keep up with them...and I find it all to be another way to remove ourselves from the daily little thing we call 'life' that consists of a lot of little things we call 'relationships'. AUUUUGHHGH!!! This is exactly where the "why-don't-you-get-on-facebook?" conversation takes me every single time.
Maybe I take it all too seriously, but I don't think so.

8 comments:

la pianista said...

And 'that' is why I am not on Facebook anymore. I've been tempted to go back because there are elements I miss, but my life is realer without it. If i ever do go back, it will be with limited exposure and use.

Thanks for a very insightful post!

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

You are absolutely dead-on right about this! When I started on Facebook, my rule was that I wouldn't friend anyone who I wouldn't meet for lunch. But then these sea of people from High School friended me, and even though I haven't seen them for years, I said yes. So now I am hearing about what's new with them, their political views... And why?

Best to focus on the in person conversations or perhaps a lovely handwritten note! I like what TippyRich said.. life is realer without facebook.

Ellen Zachos said...

I had no idea you felt this way! I, too, refuse to join Facebook. I also refuse to Tweet. Stand firm, Moll.

kaari marie said...

I actually have fun with it - moderation is key!

kira said...

i'm waiting patiently (sortof) for the new tattoo post...
look here little lady, i wanta looksee.

tippyrich said...

Okay, i suck. I went back to FBook just this week. But hey, here's the thing. I am tightening my circle of friends to those I would 'actually have lunch with', chopping dead wood, and committing to keeping it 'realer. Feels nice. I guess I felt that there were a few who ONLY use FB, and to stay in touch with them, I had to compromise (right, kaari marie - moderation!) *wink*

Also Twitter is the lamest thing in the world.

Tattoo? Tattoo? What's this about a new tattoo? :D

The Wild Old Lady From Florida said...

I joined facebook on the invitation of my stepdaughter, Sarah. However, once I went through the "initiation", I tried to find Sarah, but found there are hundreds of other Sarah's with her last name. Some of them were stranger than me... hah! So I don't use Facebook either!

Elizabeth said...

Molly, hold out as long as you can! It is a huge time-sucker!