Monday, April 13, 2009

THAT guy


Little 6-year-old Q. is an excruciatingly slow eater. So, while the other kids shovel food in their mouths, barely swallow and run to the playground, Q. takes his time. And he doesn't mind that everyone else has left the tables and it's just me and him. In fact, I think he actually prefers those moments, when it's just me and him and we can talk about the real stuff.

Today, I asked him if he ever thinks about what he wants to be when he grows up and he kinda surprised me by answering quickly, with his mouth full of sandwich,

Q: oh yeah, yeah, I know...

Me: you do? well, what is it?

Q: two things, there's two things i want to be...

Me: okay, lay it on me...

Q: i want to be an au pair, orrrrr... that guy at the grocery store that pushes that button?
the button that makes the food move.

Me: you mean the guy that pushes the buttons on the cash register?...as he pulls the food forward? that guy?

Q: no, no, no, you know the guy that pushes the button? that button? that makes the food move forward? on that long thing that moves?

Me: you mean the guy at the end of the aisle? the guy that bags your groceries?

Q: yeah, that guy! and with a huge smile on his face, he says, that job seems SO easy!

3 comments:

Maggie May said...

i agree. that is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Molly...That reminds me of the day Sofia, at four, said she wanted to be a cleaning lady! Mom

Karafina said...

hahaha, you hear the best things!