Friday, April 10, 2009

Apartmentally

We're revamping every nook and cranny of our apartment. We've pulled out items from every drawer, closet and shoebox and lumped them all into the center of the living room. Now that everything is out of the open, no more hiding all these little collections or random books, unworn shoes, or pounds of paper goods...well, we must deal with them. Almost everything that has come out, must go back in. I say almost everything because I'm hoping that much, much, much of it will be donated to good ole Community Thrift.

When a friend of ours came over the other day, I showed him around the house and whined that RK doesn't want to get rid of as much stuff as I do, and he very kindly pointed out the obvious, "Um, well, don't you have a lot more stuff than RK does?!" ohhhhh, yeah.

Anyway, this is all say that I've become slightly obsessed with how this place will eventually look. I'd always been quite confident of my ability to style out a living space, but, when I get on the interweb, my confidence in choices tends to go the way of the selby. Every time I see a photo of a place I love, I'm on the download patrol. I now have tons and tons of photos of other people's places.


I want to paint the walls dark, shocking colors and put up a huge chalkboard where paintings might go. I want to cover the walls with all the wacky art that has been sitting in our closet for five years. I want to dump the metal filing cabinet and file things in an old flat file. I want to have book shelves covering every inch of the wall and fill it to the brim with books. I want to hang lots of lamps in the kitchen, not just one. I want to use seemingly useful pieces of furniture as purely decorative art pieces. I want to stack things in corners and not have them collect any dust...


and I want it all to be finished....NOW.




I'm not sure this is helping anything.


images from here, and here, and here
.

4 comments:

Nicki's Notebook said...

im sure it is helping - venting, thinking out loud, its all part of a creative process!! best of luck with it, the photos you picked for inspiration are fab! xx

Maggie May said...

it's helping me! but that's probably not what you meant...

kira said...

the internet has made every effing life decision -- from the most minor to the most major -- ridiculously, problematically ADD-tinged. SO MANY OPTIONS OMG.

apoorva said...

I adore that first picture. Just love it.