Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dollies

My brother is a collector. Well, for that matter, so are my sisters, my mom, my dad and my other brother. And me. I'm a huuuuge collector. My brother is also a really fantastic "dumpster diver"--and I put that in quotes because it's not necessarily dumpsters he needs to dive into. He finds goodies everywhere. He rides his bike all over Los Angeles, so he sees things the rest of us don't. And he usually picks them up.

For awhile, one of those things was hand-made dolls. He'd find them in thrift stores and estate sales. He found a lot of them, brought them home to my sister's house and there the collection grew. The thing that made the collection so very interesting was the added bonus of removing their clothing to reveal these amazing little cotton bodies. Hand sewn fingers. Tiny painted nails. Perfect little silk shoes.




It's made me look at those wacky little dolls I see at every thrift store quite differently. The collection now residing at my sister's house is a beautiful set of undressed dolls that I wouldn't mind dumpster diving for myself.

6 comments:

Maggie May said...

those details are truly amazing.

Anonymous said...

Yes, lovely details, and such obscure and beautiful treasure.

ashley said...

such tiny little stitches!

Elizabeth said...

Your brother has a great eye, these are each so unique and interesting!

Ellen Zachos said...

Those are amazing. I hardly know what to say.

hmstrjam said...

these dolls are great!