Sunday, January 7, 2024

NY and me (retitled: Time and me)


Written in May 2015, but as I re-read this, i know i'd write the same exact thing today:

I sat in a cafe in NYC this past Spring, a beautiful Spring, and this is what came to me...

To so many it sounds like a broken record, but the goddamn phones are ruining our society.  They're taking down this section of the the human race that buys into their importance as a lifeline to everything but what is right in front of them.

Someone's nose in a book, someone reading a paper, almost invites a comment, albeit brief in many case, but in some...it's the window to a new conversation with a stranger;  a meeting of the minds:  Have you read?  Did you see?  What did you think about...?

People still move at the speed of light.  The still predominately wear black.
They eat lunch from 12-1 and it's never brought from home.
They still yell, "Hey, how are ya?! and "Get the fuck outta here!" both of them, lovingly.

I'd like to say it feels like I never left.
Then I realize,
I move slowly now.
I rarely wear black.
I'm lucky if I get to lunch and it's always brought from home.
I don't yell out so much, 'cuz I don't see my people.

But the biggest difference today is that every single person in the city is staring into a phone.  They all look down and peer into something the rest of us are not a part of.  The people seem younger.   I don't exchange smiles with the boys on the street; I must seem older.  I don't recognize the bartenders.  And even if I wanted to, the eye contact is almost impossible to make:  They're all on their phones.  

No comments: